First battle!

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

AlreadyPicked

First battle!

Post by AlreadyPicked » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:38 pm

We just had our first try at the Open Combat system last night.

We tried it with 3 players on a 3x3 map with Scenario 1. It worked fine... until my warband got to it's breaking point. We ruled that all my models just vanished from the board. No point in attacking models that are retreating...

I got owned by the dwarves because of their high defense. I got to roll only one die for almost every attack and I rolled a lot of 1s :evil:

Also, my archers forgot to stay behind (I thought I could only shoot à 8") :oops:

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: First battle!

Post by ST_Carl » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:14 am

3+ player rules is something that is in the mix for an expansion (although depending on how the Kickstarter goes) may make an appearance in some form in the core book.

How did you handle Initiative?

Did you simply go around the table one after the other or did you randomise the order after each warband had activated in a round?

AlreadyPicked

Post by AlreadyPicked » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

For the initiative, we used a deck of cards. Each picked a card each turn. Using the Ace down to two and Spade/Heart/Diamond/Club in that order in case of ties.

So in other words, each turn was randomized. I don't remember if it happened, but the third player could lose the initiative and then be the first to play on the following turn :?

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks for sharing.

The last player losing initiative but possibly being the first player to activate in the next round is something that I've been mulling over in the back of my mind for 3+ player games.

A big part of my thinking doesn't mind it because if a warband is last to activate in a 3+ player game it could have taken a bit of a beating before activating. Having a chance of getting to activate first in the next round provides the warband with a potentially much needed chance to reposition/strike back.