First battle report and thoughts about the game

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

fransotto

First battle report and thoughts about the game

Post by fransotto » Wed May 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Hello!

I had my first O.C session today and had a blast! I have decided to share my gaming experience in a small battle report;

First my background; Gaming wise it has been role playing games and tons of board games for many years. Was introduced to miniature wargaming (warhammer fantasy battle) rather late in my life. I found O.C last autumn and have been lurking around second thunder website for a while. i decided to give O.C a go after listening on M&M podcast. They said something like; "If you have three dices, some miniatures, 2x2 ft space there is no reason not trying this out".

Me and my friend decided to try the game by making up some warbands with different "themes"and just learn the game by playing.

We created an excel document in order to make creation of the warbands easier. It took about 3 hours to come up with six warbands, after some dice rolling we had our match-ups;

"Elven state troops";
In this warband I wanted as many models as possible together with an strong leader. The roster was not perfect but I do believe many "cheap" troops may be very efficient.

vs

"The good elves";
In this warband we wanted to try a lot of special abilities, skills and weapons. My opponent said this was his favorite warband

They met each other in a simple open combat.

The horsemen failed to make it to the back of the "good elves" and was forced to turn around to help the spearmen. The first turns was about inflicting long range damage and the state troops did quite well even if the high skilled bowmen from the "good elves" picked almost two archers per turn. When it later came to close combat the spearmen stood no chance and the game ended up with a victory for the "good elves".

Playing "elite" vs "mass" was entertaining. We learned a lot about movement and the danger of "force back". A good first game that took around 1h.

Next out was

"Good dwarfs"
These guys were all about heavy hitting and lot of attitude I mean fortitude... The lack of speed was really a weak spot in this warband. During the game we understood that the balance between weapon/skills/abilities and statistic is crucial.

vs

"Slime daemons"
The idea behind these horrible monsters were to test the psy-abilities (intimidate). We also gave them two daggers as something like "acid spit"

These two warband were suppose to "retrieve the prize"

Unfortunately we didnt read the scenario properly (we mixed it up with the third scenario) and ended up in a strange "capture the flag scenario". Anyway, we had two chests (in form of dices) and as soon you captured a chest we rolled a dice; on a "!" the chest were empty else you got a prize.

We discovered rather quick that the slime daemons with the speed of 5" had a huge advantage over the 3" dwarves.

Another thing were the psy-ability of the slime daemons that really screwed up the fighting ability of the dwarfs. As two daemons climbed the ruin and got the chests the rest of the daemons held their positions against the "Mind-broken" dwarfs.

A slime daemon claiming one of the chests!

The sling was quite a nice weapon in this scenario

I think the dwarfs managed to kill the leader of the daemons but the slime daemons managed to retrieve both the chests.

For the last scenario we had these warbands;

Evil elves
Here we tried a "elite band" with a 38p knight as the leader!

vs

Evil dwarfs
Half the band contained hard hitting dwarfs and the rest were quick and fragile hobgoblins

This time we read the scenario carefully and decided to capture these fellows;

They were all neutral to "simplify" the game a bit.

The evil elves started and rushed straight to the middle. The speed of the warband and the stats of the knight made us believe this scenario should end up in a simple win for the elves.

The pig on the right flank fled behind a tree (damni!) when the dark knight arrived. The dwarfs almost forced back the knight out of the boarder (with the gun/crossbow) so instead of chasing the pig the knight turned into the ruin to find another animal and lick the wounds.

Chasing of pigs and chickens in the ruin were not easy, soon the hobgoblins arrived and the fight began. The dark knight went down after a epic fight in the ruin (yeah, learning the hard way that cavalry should stay out in the field). Other members in the evil elves band manage to escape thanks to the "evade" skill and were only one inch from the border then the band surrendered due to loss of a second member in the band.

The last fight of the day were absolutely fantastic. We started to feel comfortable with the rules and the whole game went very smooth. 2.5h and 3 games later we agreed on that this system really suits us. A thing we discovered or used more in the last game were the "force back" result. The first two games we focused too? much on making damage but the last scenario we applied tactics in order to make the best use of the "force back" results as well.

Final thoughts;
It is really true; "If you have three dices, some miniatures, 2x2 ft space there is no reason not trying this out".

For those who has not tested the game yet; put some time on the preparation. Its easy to just go direct on warband creation and start playing right away (which you basically can -the reference sheet is excellent). The terrain rules is important to know as terrain plays a big role in the game. I have already started to make a reference sheet about the terrain and the advanced rules (which we forgot to use).

Hope you enjoyed the report :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: First battle report and thoughts about the game

Post by ST_Carl » Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Hello and welcome Fransotto!

Many thanks for your kind words, I'm very pleased to hear you're enjoying Open Combat.

Thanks for sharing the pics and write up of your experiences, fantastic stuff! It's brilliant to see and hear about your experiences.

You're right... using Force Backs really is an important part of Open Combat and the terrain can have a huge influence on your decision making as you play the game too. :)