Close call "Classic vs Rage of Sigvard"

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

fransotto

Close call "Classic vs Rage of Sigvard"

Post by fransotto » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Just finished an exciting game of OC. It was no real purpose of the game -no game testing of new house rules, just a quick game. In this game I made some notes I want to share. Even if none of us are strategical genius the battle report might give new-comers or those who not yet have bought OC a small insight in how deep this game actual can be.

The game took 45min.

Warband 1

Code: Select all

Name: Classic        Renown level 150
    Model count 5        Break point 26

Name        Renown SPD ATK DEF FOR MIN Weapon        Skills/Abilities
    Barbarian    26     5   9   0   9   1  2H Weapon     Furious Assault

Knight       36     5   5   9   9   4  Hand Weapon   Shield Bash, Shield, Resolute

Thief        29     9   4   4   4   4  Dagger        Evade, Sling, Distract

Ranger       31     9   9   0   4   4  Bow           Sharp Eyed, Marksman, Surefooted, Aim

Wizard       28     5   1   4   4   9  Crossbow      Feint, Intimidate, Taunt, Enrage

Warband 2

Code: Select all

Name: Rage of Sigvard     Renown level 150
    Model count 4        Break point 28

Openator    37     7   7   7   7   7   Halberd       Leader, Crossbow (Light from lanterna)

Sledgenator 37     7   7   7   7   7   Double-handed Furious Assault

Maulinator  38     7   7   7   7   7   Hand Weapon   Shield Bash, Shield

Combatator  38     7   7   7   7   7   Hand Weapon   Shield Bash, Shield
The scenario was just a ordinary "Open combat". The amount of scenery was a little bit more than we have just to play with but with only 9 models on the battlefield it would not be too messy. We spend fair amount of time deciding what kind of terrain we had. We decided that the entrance to tower lead direct to the balcony. The balcony was in such height that models really needed to be like 75% obscured in order to make such roll form that position. We also decided we were able to attack the houses second floors from ground level even if it was a little bit too high. The forest was hazardous with the danger of being both prone and loose 1 FOR.

The basic scenario (and basic set up) says put the figures on the board edge. Be aware of this as high speed shooting models might be able to force back your troops out of the game already in turn 1!. This was close to happen to my "Sledgenator" as my opponent found a way to position his "Ranger" in a perfect place in the dangerous forest. The rest of the "classic troops" advanced forward in order to position themselves on higher ground later on. I first thought of moving my "Sigvards" in a group to the tower but the threat of the Ranger forced me to split the group. Still I was rather confident that the barbarian and the thief was easy to deal with. But I was unsure about my left flank. Of course I failed my hazardous test but I resisted using my re-roll in this stage (it was turn 1).

Taking a lot of damage from both the Thief and the Ranger my "Sledgenator" had only 2-3 wounds left after turn 2 or 3 and he went down close after without any chance to swing his mighty hammer. I was not able to attack the ranger with my "Maulinator" as the Ranger fled back to the house. The risk of being forced back out of the battlefield was to high. At the tower my "Combatator" was able to pin the barbarian and a bloody one-sided fight started. My "Openator" climbed the started to attack the Thief on the balcony.

Loosing my "Sledgenator" and starting to take damage on my Maulinator who was chasing the "Ranger" as well as the combat at the tower flank made my break point decrease to very low level early in the game. Loosing two any members in this band would make me loose. I knew the Wizard was light defended so I concentrated to take him down and I saw a chance to win by beating the "Barbarian, the Thief and the Wizard". My opponent saw was happening and fled with the thief trying to buy time for the Knight and Ranger to kill the golden dwarf. The thief failed the jump and went prone. The Knight was able to force back the Mailinator out of combat with with wizard making it possible to for the Wizard able to move closer to the Openator "safely". The taunt ability forced the Openator move toward the wizard instead of the Thief. Which slowed down the advancement of the dwarves.

At this stage my Sigvard was down to 3 from the break points and the "Classic" team was down to approx 5. It was now all about killing either the Thief or the Maulinator.

Able to take down the Thief with the "Openator" I was forced to score additional hits with the halberd, I scored one hit and used my last re-roll in order to do just one more FOR damage to the thief. This failed (!) and the "Openator" could smell the smile of the Ranger...

The Wizard used Intimidate ability and reduced the "Openators" MIN by 1. Then the Ranger shot two arrows and the game was over with the Classic team down to only 1 point from their break point and the victory was all down to a single dice.

We were both happy with the game and it was a good mix of excitement and laughter. Hope you enjoyed the battle report! :)

Hope you enjoyed the battle report :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: Close call "Classic vs Rage of Sigvard"

Post by ST_Carl » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 am

Fantastic report fransotto and brilliant photos.

One observation I would make: in Board Edge deployment you deploy by taking a single move action with each model using any point along your board edge. So, your models don't have to start standing on the edge. Using your example warbands, that's some high speed models btw, some of the models could move up 5" onto the board whereas the thief could move unto 9".

Once both warbands have deployed by taking a single move action with each of the models you roll to see who gets the first turn.

You can see the relevant text on page 38 of the PDF, under Board Edge, 4th paragraph.

You're right about standing on the board edge though - it's a very risky thing to do I've had a few models shot and Forced off the table when i've tried sneaking along edges with models. :roll:

fransotto

Re: Close call "Classic vs Rage of Sigvard"

Post by fransotto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 am

ST_Carl wrote:One observation I would make: in Board Edge deployment you deploy by taking a single move action with each model using any point along your board edge. So, your models don't have to start standing on the edge. Using your example warbands, that's some high speed models btw, some of the models could move up 5" onto the board whereas the thief could move unto 9".
Ah, we forgot about that one! :oops:

Yeah, our warbands tends to have quite high SPD, not sure why but we feel it really beneficial in the other two scenarios. Next game will probably contain more elevated positions as we thought that jumping, climbing and stuff really adds something extra to the game.
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)