The dungeon of hilarious doom and other demogames

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

Yuma

The dungeon of hilarious doom and other demogames

Post by Yuma » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 pm

on the 5. we visited a convention some buddies organized. the masterplan was to demo level2, but since we played open combat, it was clear that the focus would be on this gem.

we had three small playareas, a rugged hillboard with some trees, a sci-fi for level2 and an old dungeonboard draugster found admidst the other terrain when digging the hill-board from the stash. we just knew, we had to bring it along, and decided to make up some fun stuff when we had set up camp at the convention. thats what you can do with OC, because its awesome :D

the normal demoing wasnt that spectacular and i'll focus around the dungeon scenario.

i had perpared some enemies, Celtos Fomor, with various weapons and rather low stats, and a band of heroes with high stats and some custom rules snatched from this forum (personal magic, ritual magic, traps and poison).

these pictures show the dungeon board and some of the heroes.

it was later in the day, when a couple of friends wanted to have a go with the, until then unused, dungeon.
it is a huge strength of OC, that it can be explained to someone in a couple of minutes, including the custom magic stuff. i cant stop to point this out, its awesome!

i the first game, there where three heroes (130 points total), and one player controlled one hero each and shared a single turn together. the fomor defenders, trap markers, ritualplace ect were visible from the start. i had no rules how the fomor would react and how long the ritual would take. i tend to tweak this on the fly, to make it as fun for the heroes as possible.
the fomor had a good mix of weapon loadouts (spear, spear and shield, doublehanded weapons, bows) and most where rather weak with 2 FOR and 3-4 DEF. two captains with a bit higher stats and more FOR as well as the shamen with his magic stuff and higher stats were the more dangerous dungeondwellers. the shaman had a familiar too, with a selection of phsychological attacks and abilities. the whole bunch of bad guys was around 480 renown total.

and thus a dwarf warrior, a elven archer and a mysterious wizard set out to save the world or something along that line.
the laugher started from turn one with the dwarf disarming traps with his armored face.
the fomor stood no chance but managed to look dangerous enough to make the heroe over prudent at times and evertime we/i had to come up with a solution to a strange situation it was easy to do without breaking the flow. that is so wonderful about OC, i cant point it out enough ;)
after some crawling around the elf managed to disrupt the casting shaman with a clean shot. the necromancy/summoning rules are elegant and the disrupion-roll was a one, resulting in a most unpleasant way as the demonthingie was summoned but out of anyones control. what followed wasnt planed and i just let it evolve. heroes and fomor alike scrambled for the exit doors, trying to be not the closest party to the demon. great fun, and even an ounce of that heroic "go, i make a stand here. dont wait for me and care for my wife and childred" moments followed.
it was the already weakened dwarf, who had to open that (traped) chest on their retreat.. he was spiked and had to use 3 actions until he could move again..
especialy in this chaotic retreat, the players started to use force back to reposition fomor closer to the demon and it was quite tactical despite the hilarious mood.

and they (the players) liked it so much, that we did a second game. or have been urged to do so, to be honest ;)
the second crawl had more heroes, six of them, as the initial players drew in anyone who strayed to close to the table.
we made three teams of two heroes each, to migitate the turn-over rule a bit. this worked fine, and even gave room for some bullying among the hero-teams. mostly verbal, but the dwarf finaly managed to disarm a trap and was allowed to choose if he diabled the trap or claimed it as his.. he scribled in secret to whom the trap remained deadly from then on.. sadly no other heroes did go that way.. ;)
the goal was to find the barbarian princes in on of the 5 cells (the grates in the floor). the teams split up and encountered most of OC's specialities.. the wizard and the pitfighter had some fun with hazardous terrain, others explored the diverse weapon specialrules, battling over barricades, cover, and obscured LOS. some of the players had abismal dice rolls, but the atmosphere remained relaxed and laughter ranged from sardonic to splitting. there was even a very classic breach and clear situation when the almost dead barbarian and the poisondagger wielding rogue stormed the big room full of fomors. and for the first time during the second match, the barbarian rolled like a young god of luck (meaning above 4).

i am not sure how much the players did stuff on purpose, but in the end i had the good feeling, that they had seen almost every concept OC has to offer, and even took a bit a deeper look how force back and blocking affect the tactical side of this game.
and to me and draugster it showed how flexibel the whole system is, and what we can do with it. i'd say, that we probably showed more OC-greatness in this dungeon than we could in the normal demofights.

maybe some words about the, not very often used, loot chests. i had no idea what they could find in them.. i just rolled a die and then pretended to look on a list.. and gave them something nice but not too good. the dwarf got a magic halberd which granted a skill, quite good, but the game was mor eor less over as he found it ;)
the second treasure was a magial ring granting the barbarian the nimble skill. (somehow one of the other players convinced the rest that the ring also changed gender..)

we all had surly the greatest time since a long time, and i would say, that i hadnt so much fun running a dungeon since the last time i played heroquest (which is the bestest dungeongame ever made ;) )

and i like to point out, that one of OC's greatest strenght is its simplicity. super easy to explain, very elegant when you have to solve an unexpected situation, and if there's a more complicated issue, just adapt the standard table and roll a die.
and i believe that most players on that day where positivly surprised that they hadnt to listen for endless minutes until they could try it out. and that they didnt have to ask a lot during play, when new situations arose.
ok, most attendees have a longstanding relationship with such games, but there were a few who just have friends doing this geekstuff, and they played along without being left behind ruleswise.

Yuma

Re: The dungeon of hilarious doom and other demogames

Post by Yuma » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 pm

hmm, have to tinker with the pictures and the warbandroster, so you can see the whole thing.
i does not allow xls, any tipps what format i can attach here?

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:24 am

This is a fantastic report Yuma!

I'm really pleased you all had such a great time - that is the most important thing in games for me. The shared experience and enjoyment of the encounter/adventure on the tabletop (and the banter between players around the table of course!). It sounds like you've collected some new epic anecdotes to look back on.

I'm glad the various bits and pieces from the suggestions forum gave you lots of cool things to play with too. :)

I'm not sure what to suggest regarding uploading files to this forum. I'd have to dig into the forum software and get my head around it again but I'm not in a position to put the time to it at the moment.

8elias8

Post by 8elias8 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:29 pm

That is such a great idea!! I can't wait to try this out. I'd love to see what rules you created for using OC for dungeon crawls! Can you post what modifications and/or house rules you made?

I'm hoping to do the very same thing, though perhaps adjust it a little so each player controls his own warband of heroes playing competitively to loot the most from the dungeon while one final player is the overlord. How would you suggest going about doing that?

Thanks!

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:41 pm

there werent much things i changed.
we did use some of the rules modifications from the suggestions forum (traps and poison, personal magic and necromancy). and i tried one or two new skills to bolster the heroes a bit. the rogue had "disarm trap" which lets him reroll the dice when he rolls for trapstuff/disaming, and the wizard had "master caster" which let him reroll castingrolls like sharp eyed for ranges attacks.
the rest of the special things were more like counts as solutions, the brine demon had a breathattack which was simply a doublehanded weapon and focussed blow which could only be used together. or renamed skills/abilities.. the familiarbeasty had "sirens call" (=taunt) and psychic screech (=intimidate).

i handled the traps and poison in a rather cineastic way, but i cant tell anymore how excatly. poison was just strength 1 so i opted to raise the chance that it works considerably, with the traps i choose a global-MND value for all the traps laid out in the dungeon to roll against. and i choose the type i liked to most and that was fitting the moment. once i let the victim choose between two diffret types..
the rogue could throw his daggers, and pick them up again. and i let them do crazy maneouvers here and there, when one of the players came up with a fancy idea. but that was more decided at a moments notice (the rogue ran into a room and slithered to the feet of a barricade where his daggers lay and did go prone doing so, but he could not be targeted by the fomor bowmen behind the barrier)

i had no fancy rules for opening door and revealing room content. everything was placed a the start, enemies, trapmarkers ect. the dungeon gang had at least double the points of the heroes, and i activated more o less enemies according how the heroes fared.. as a general rule the fomor in a room got active when they were shot at or the heroes entered an adjecent room/corridor.

the fomor where mostly FOR 2, models, ranging from 16 to 25 points for the fighters, armed with a mix of bows, spears and handheapons, and a couple of doublehanded swords. if two or three 40 point heroes stormed a room with 3-5 fomors, it was over quite quick, most of the time.
i thinks its hard to find a good balance if you want to play that competitivly monsters vs. heroes. if you opt for the idea that opposing warbands are the real enemies, i would just sprinkle some low-points models here and there. you could take a look at the awesome The Great Game mod over in the suggestionsforum, it has some very useful stuff in it, if you like to have clues and alarm mechanics in your dungeon.
and the dungeon should be rather spacious, as a 4"SPD model can move quite quickly around the place. maybe you even opt to use the mod for playing on squares, depending on your terrain. that should work very well too.
for the loot, i would prepare a list next time, maybe divided into weaker, funny stuff and more potent treasures. those can be a small item that grants a skill or stat increase, healing potions, or weapons that also grant an additional goodie..

oh and be creative with new traps for the dungeon, or use hazardous terrain as such. playing around with the poison rules could get you a mechanic for burning pits that set heroe aflame...

8elias8

Post by 8elias8 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 am

Awesome thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll try and put something together for the next time I get together with the guys.

P.s. I looked in the Suggestions forum and can't find that "Great Game" thread you mentioned. Also for some reason the search function is not working for me. Can you link the thread?

Thanks!

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 am

ups sorry, the great game is in the warbands folder, top most tread.
try the first or last page for a link to download..

loki73

Post by loki73 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:37 am

Very awesome! :D