Rat king vs the Queen x3 -Update- Maze of death!

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

fransotto

Rat king vs the Queen x3 -Update- Maze of death!

Post by fransotto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:25 pm

I was preparing an epic OC session with a lot of home brewed rules and bigger warbands! But my usual opponent was forced to cancel. Too bad but I was lucky enough to find an new opponent! :D

My new opponent had no wargaming or RPG background at all but was a seasoned board gamer. Most of the time I needed to explain the "imaginary" part of the game like why spear got extra range or why crossbow was slower than a bow.

The good thing was that overall rule explanation took no time at all. My opponent grasped the "hit tables" very quick.

My opponent warband was a on the fly mixed "intro-warband" which was supposed to maybe be tweaked a bit for the next game (in order to introduce my opponent to one of the funniest part of OC -the warband creation), but we ended playing the same warband twice;

"The Rat King"

Code: Select all

Warband profiles     Name:  Rat King  Renown level       150                   Break point 24           

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN  Weapon           Skills/Abilities              
      Rat kIng           51       6     10    10    10     10 Halberd, Bow     Resolute, Intimidate, Enrage                   
   Rat angel stone       20       8     0     3      5     2                    Exert                               
   Rat angel wood        20       8     0     3      5     2                    Exert                               
   Rat pack close        12       4     3     0      3     1  Halberd                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                              
       Monster                                                                                                                     
    Rat pack wide        12       4     3     0      3     1  Halberd                                                      
Notes                                                                                                                                
       Monster                                                                                                                       
 Rat with big stone       7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    
 Rat with flat stone      7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    
 Rat with left stone      7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    
  Rat with no stone       7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    
L rat with stone righ     7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    
L rat with stone left     7       4     1     0      1     0  Hand Weapon                                                    

A warband I am tweaking into perfection.

"The Queen"

Warband profiles     Name:                                           Renown level       150                             
        Name     Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN           Weapon           Skills/Abilities              
        Queen      30       5     3     5      5     9              Bow                  Taunt                   
Notes                                                                                    Intimidate                 
        Name     Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN           Weapon           Skills/Abilities              
       Hunter      30       5     9     5      3     5           Crossbow             Sharp Eyed                 
Notes                                                                                 Marksman                  
        Guard      34       5     9     9      5     3     Double-handed Weapon        Resolute                  
Notes                                                                                  Focussed Blow               
      Dog Ring     28       9     9     3      2     2          Hand Weapon             Nimble                   
Notes                                                                                   Surefooted                 
       Monster                                                                                                         
´       Name     Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN           Weapon           Skills/Abilities              
      Dog Spike    28       9     9     3      2     2          Hand Weapon             Nimble                   
Notes                                                                                   Surefooted                 
       Monster                                                                                                         
A warband created "on the fly". It looked decent for me.

We decided to play a simple game and then a little bit more "advanced" game afterwards. First map looked like this;

All terrain/scenery were hazardous with turn over on a "1". The lake was impassable. All terrain/scenery blocked force back and if pushed down a slop you also got force back damage.

The second map looked like this;

Same terrain rules as before, this game was far more interesting than the first one.

The pictures of the first game became incredible bad but here is a try to reconstruct was happened and some highlight in the game;
Pushing and spreading out the 5 model strong warband my opponent did not really had any battle plan how to beat me. I showed and explained that the Rat king was the key to victory as he alone held 20 of 24 break points. My opponent then changed tactic but it was little bit too late.

The dogs were easy targets and as soon as they were down the rats went after the "Hunter" and unsupported Queen. The Rat king hiding behind the hill. The "0 ATK angels" were ridiculous good by force back blockers but also keeping the Queen losing an activation action each turn (break free from engaged in order to use the bow).

The Rat king saw a chance to beat the "Guard" and quite easily brought him down with some help from a rat. The Hunter had some hard time to get rid of the bat but finally managed by some "Taunt help" from the queen. A rat was shot and The Rat king was down to only 4 Break point at this stage

The rat king made the process short with the hunter as expcected, but the game was actually quite close as the Queen failed to roll a "6" in the turn before. If so the Bat would have died and a single Intimidate or a FOR damage on the Rat king would be enough to win.

This was maybe not the best intro game, but my opponent enjoyed the game so much we decided to just keep the warband as they were. The game actually only took 50min, quite impressive.

The second game was much funnier one of the reason was the battlefield, I highly recommend playing with bridges, gaps and stuff if possible.

Second turn and my opponent was more caution this time. The set up with the Hunter and the queen made it possible for my opponent to cover quite a lot of the map but still protected. The Rat king was hiding, I wanted to remove the dogs before doing anything else.

The Guard was early up on the hill but had hard time despite resolute and 2H weapon to win the battle. With some bad terrain rolls for both of us the Rat king finally made it to the hill and the shooting begun.

The Rat king suddenly started to loose a lot of FOR and also fell down the hill. Even if the battle on the hill between the rats and bats and The Guard and the last dog was under control the loss of FOR on the Rat king was not. The Queen became pinned down by a bat and the swearing from my opponent started

Instead of fighting the rats the dog broke free set course against the rat king. At this stage the Rat king was down to 3 or 4 FOR. The queen kicked a rat into the lake 8-)

As this is a family forum this is the best picture of the Rat feast/slaughter on the hill you will get. The dog manage once more to slip through and went into combat with the Rat king. Shocked and frustrated by this move the Rat king swung the halberd at the dog...

Total miss...

And even if the rats were able to support the Rat king for a short while there were nothing to do. The king went down and the queen won (with 5p left).

This game went very quick I can see on the photos that the time between the first and the last one was 30min. This time my opponent had a clear strategy but was not full aware of all the small sneaky stuff you could do. We never used the leadership re-rolls, some abilities could maybe be used a little bit more (sometimes forgotten) but overall it was a tactical challenged game. We agreed on that the Queen warband should have stayed back a little bit longer forcing the Rat king to take some action and from there send the dogs after him.

Next game will probably be either scenario 2 or 3 in the OC book.
Last edited by fransotto on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: Rat king vs the Queen x2

Post by ST_Carl » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:59 am

Very cool - you're right using terrain with some height along with bridges and/or elevated walkways really does provide excellent opportunities for Force Back falls and nervous movement choices. Lots of 'I want to go there but I really don't want to be standing there' type of decisions arise.

Really interesting warband builds too.

I'm very pleased your opponent enjoyed the games :)

fransotto

Re: Rat king vs the Queen x3 -Update- Maze of death!

Post by fransotto » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:33 pm

OK, game three and this time on a grid! The scenario was retrieve the prize which in this scenario was three happy pigs living on an Island in the middle of a maze.

The queen had fired some of her warband members;
The new and improved warband, much easier to remember the abilities and all Char according to my opponent

Warband profiles     Name: TH Queen  Renown level       150 Break point 19

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN     Weapon           Skills/Abilities              
Queen            30       5     3     5      5     9      Hand Weapon              Taunt                 
Notes                                                                              Intimidate           

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN      Weapon           Skills/Abilities           
Hunter red       20       5     8     1      3     2    Bow                                              
Notes                                                                                                   

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN      Weapon           Skills/Abilities            
Hunter Black     20       5     8     1      3     2   Bow                                              
Notes                                                                                                   

Dog Ring         22       7     9     2      2     1     Hand Weapon                                   
Notes                                                                                                   

Dog Spike        22       7     9     2      2     1     Hand Weapon                                    
Notes                                                                                                      

Blondie          18       4     4     4      3     1      Halberd              Resolute                                
Notes                                                                                                                                

Blackie          18       4     4     4      3     1       Halberd              Resolute                                
Notes                                                                                                                                
My rat king had also made some small adjustment;

More evil and angry than ever before!

Warband profiles     Name:      Rat kin   Renown level       150    Break point 23           

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN           Weapon   SKills/Abilities           
Rat kIng           46       6     9     9     10     9    Halberd         Leader                  
Notes                                                           Bow       Resolute                             

Name           Renown    SPD   ATK   DEF    FOR   MIN           Weapon   SKills/Abilities                     
Rat angel stone       16       8     0     1      5     0                  Surefooted                  
Notes                                                                      Evade                    

Rat angel wood        16       8     0     1      5     0                  Surefooted                 
Notes                                                                      Evade                    

Rat pack close        15       4     5     0      4     1    Halberd                                                  
Notes                                                                                                                    

Rat pack Wide        15       4     5     0      4     1    Halberd                                                
Notes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Common rat           7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

Rat with big stone       7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

Rat with flat stone      7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

Rat with left stone      7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

Rat with no stone       7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

L rat with stone righ     7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                

White rat           7       4     1     0      1     0    Hand Weapon                                                    
Notes                                                                                                                                
The scenario was simple; Each pig was worth 1p, breaking the enemy also counted as 1p and when one band broke the counted the amount of score. You could see over the walls (hard cover) but the rats and dogs you could not see. The only access to the pigs was over the Lake of Death! We had corner deployment and first turn looked liked this;

My rats were painful slow here and my bats way to fragile. My plan was to set up a trap and take the pigs from the Queen warband.

The queen ordered her rangers to start shot at the Rat king. Resolute as he was not much really happened.

But instead of running strait towards the pig the Queen halted at the "maze entrance" and started to go to attack! Enormously annoying for my Rat king that outperformed the Queen in any Char but with only two activation he was forced to make an advance or shoot back.

One dog took a pig but the Rat king send him into the lake (of death!). One bat went down but it was till one left!

Unable to see it the Queen now started to taunt the Bat back toward here and the Bat was killed. The Halberd positioned themselves along the wall.

The fight became at once very intense. But the Rat king felt that two blades and two bows were quite hard to fight against as he started to take heavy damage by now.

Under meantime the Dog grabbed a pig and the Queen used her ability to make the dog do another move. Tthe dog was not happy and bite her. Not much damage.

In order to make the dog avoid the rats the queen taunted two rats and the road was clear for the dog. The Rat king tried to kill the dog but failed and the last the Rat king saw was the happy pig brought into safety. An arrow took his life in the end. Breaking the band in the same turn the pig was returned to safety.

A quick and light game. Using grid was nice and my opponent thought it was easier to understand the game mechanics. We discussed if the walls should have blocked line of sight but felt it was ok to just give the models hard cover and those who was small some hiding. My opponent never went into the trap by putting the majority of the warband inside the maze. The aggressive attack really surprised me it was really annoying to know that I had the "best" but was all the time forced to split my activations (focus) and in the end was not able to do anything at all.
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)