Saxon village defence vs Bad guys warband

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

fransotto

Saxon village defence vs Bad guys warband

Post by fransotto » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Another "Open Combat evening" and I was not suppose to do any battle report, but rather start playing at once as usual, we begun discussion OC tactics. Looking through different warbands we remembered this warband example by ST_Carl :)

https://www.secondthunder.com/sample-op ... e-defence/

i bet I could win against my friend latest list, challenged excepted and we started to set up the pieces;

Saxon village defence

From left to right; CYNEWEARD, EARDWULF, CEOLMUND, HEARD, AELFSTAN, EOFERWINE, EALDGYD, HRODULF. I guess it starts to get rather boring to see the same GW models over and over again, but other more suitable models are incoming. I wont post any stats here you can find all and some excellent comments and analyze by Carl over on blog page.
vs

"Bad guys warband"
A tweaked version of an old successful warband, looking through the list I felt this would not be an easy walk in the garden -More like a walk through Mordor... :(

Code: Select all

Warband pr               150          Break              20                                              

Name     Renown   SPD   ATK   DEF   FOR   MIN          Weapon           Skills/Abilities  
The leader    24      4     4     5     3     4         Hand Weapon             Inspire      
                                                          Shield                Enrage       
  Leader                                                                        Leader  

Name     Renown   SPD   ATK   DEF   FOR   MIN          Weapon           Skills/Abilities  
  Knight      20      4     4     4     3     2         Hand Weapon           Shield Bash    
                                                          Shield                             

Two handed    20      4     4     4     3     2    Double-handed Weapon      Focussed Blow   
                                                                             Resolute      

Two handed    20      4     4     4     3     2    Double-handed Weapon      Focussed Blow   
                                                                             Resolute      

Spear       18      4     4     3     3     2            Spear            Furious Assault  

halberd      18      4     4     3     3     2           Halberd           Furious Assault  

bow        15      5     1     3     2     2             Bow                   Aim        

bow        15      5     1     3     2     2             Bow                   Aim        
Setup;
Rather strait forward terrain, My Saxon got the first turn. How do you think it went? :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: Saxon village defence vs Bad guys warband

Post by ST_Carl » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 am

Oh... This is intriguing.

I can't really call this as I get the impression that you guys are both clever players that know a lot of the subtleties in OC.. but I better have a stab at guessing the outcome.

The latest list from your friend is an interesting one too, I think I can see what is being attempted there but the average MIN stat across most of the warband gives the Saxon village defence warband an opportunity to exploit too. Plus individually I think the Saxon professional fighters have a bit more punch in them to give the list a hard time.

Hmmm.... I'll say the Saxons win it with the caveat that player skill has a huge part in it. But assuming similar experience level of players (knowing how to maximise opportunities as situations arise in the game) I'll go with the Saxons. :)

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:59 pm

hmm...
i'm assuming too, that both of you know excactly what to do and how to exploit mistakes of the respective opponent to the fullest.

on the warbandside i'll give the saxons a very slight advantage, bcause of the intimidateskill and the missile guys, which the bad guys cant migitate as well with their own abilities and equip.
but there is also the bad guys ability to form two blobs of three fighters each (2hand, reach and shield) which reminds me of a lesson learned the hard way.. and by the looks, your opponent deployed them accodingly.
not sure where his guys in the corner can go, if they can go down the slope everythings fine, if the ropebridge is the only way...
and on the pic i can only guess where the other four, non-visible saxons are..

hmm.. can the bad guy archers aim individualy and then groupattack with the bonus?

ok, my stomachfeeling votes for a saxon victory as well, but with horrible casualties (very close to the breakpoint) as well.

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:00 pm

like those trees a lot btw.

fransotto

Post by fransotto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Ok, Here comes the rest of the report. Bring out the popcorn! :lol:

So, in order to understand the game I think I need to explain the way the play. One thing we do is we are open with all information (It cannot be called Open combat for nothing!?). So during the game we are talking all the time about CHAR, abilities and Break points.

Normally the first thing we do is to look after the easiest targets for the Saxons (me) it was the spear, Halberd and the bow men. With those gone I would have only 2p to go to break the "bad guys" (friend). Same time it was not really a secret that if I would lose the old lady EALDGYD and the angry guy EOFERWINE and the double wielding guy EARDWULF I would go down from 23 to 4p.

I suggested to play scenario 2 or 3 but finding out that all models got 4" SPD we rolled the scenario. It became the normal scenario 1 which I believed suited the Saxons better actually.

The bad guy quickly deployed aggressively in the tower while the Saxons were more careful hiding behind the ruin and the burnt house. Once HEARD with his bow and his apprentice AELFSTAN was deployed the Bad guys quickly divided into two groups.

CYNEWEARD saw that an Axe was the solution to the group ahead of him, well three axes would solve the issue three times faster so he brought EARDWULF with him leaving CEOLMUND in the center able to go either to help the villagers or the fighters. Hunter HEARD climbed the old ruin in order to get some line of sight. Target no 1 was the archer in the tower.

The Villagers were quite anxious as some bad guys were advancing toward them on the rope bridge.

The start was horrible and I think I used 2 re-rolls already in turn 1 or 2. My friend scored very low as well but saved his re-roll. My plan was to advance with my two of my fighters and then flank/rear them with my spear guy as he was quite protected from missile fire. The villagers were suppose to take out the archers and then flee or something.

The experience leader of the Saxon smiled as the Bad guys behaved just as thought. Now they were hiding behind the wall of the ruin knowing that going for the villagers behind the stone wall would just end up getting the fighters in the back.

The fight became quickly intense as every single arrow from the Bad guys hit the target. I saw a small chance to inflict quite heavy damage and surprise my opponent by enrage the Halberd (-2 in DEF and succeeded!) and then shoot him with the hunters bow (3 dicing) and then with the apprentice sling, unfortunately no serious damage was doneand the Old ladey became exposed.

The archer in the tower shifted target and with a well aimed arrow fell the Hunter in the ruin. The bad guys prepared for battle.

Take a not how evil my opponent is by forming a group 2" from the stone wall and the tree. I tried to break his formation by taunting the leader but failed.

The bad guys pushed the old woman down the roof but she actually were able to survive. The Halberd jumped down and the Knight advanced. It was time to flee. Angry EOFERWINE took a real hit and fled into ruin. Fighter CEOLMUND stepped out from the ruin prepared to protect the villagers.

I felt I lost a bit of initiative here. But the dice were against me (my opponent agreed about that one -with an evil smile of course).

The fighters got aid from the boy HRODULF (here spider) but the Bad guys refused to move. By skill and luck (mostly luck!) they stood ground

Fighting a resolute and a shield opponent is not easy, I tried to involved the double wielding fighter but he was very busy with the Bad Spear. This part of the game did not take many turns but it involved quite a bit of positioning and thinking.

The fight went on quite a bit but the longer the fight went on the more the Saxon leader CYNEWEARD was forced back to the ruin. Suddenly the bad guys shifted focus and went after the double wielder EARDWULF which was hurt after some arrows from the tower archer. Note CEOLMUND in the bottom of the picture

My opponent outsmarted me here; I never calculated the tower archer into this fight and he used him as soon as any of my two skilled fighters were forced backed from the fight (so he never followed up).

Exhausted and bloody the Saxon leader continued to fight, he saw his best friend go down and he could not hear anything from the villagers but it was the death of the brave boy HRODULF that broke him.

Saxon lost and Bad guys were down from 20 to 15 or so.

After the game it was a lot of "if only the dice..." and my opponent -gentleman as he is, agreed that the game was interesting and sometimes quite tense and as a comment of the Saxon warband he said something like; "Well, he (Carl) is better in writing rules than warbands and that is good for us". :D

fransotto

Post by fransotto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Yuma wrote:like those trees a lot btw.
Thanks! Hehe, they are my "second generation" basically made from twig from the garden and then "foam sealent" as crown. A little bit messy in the beginning but with one spray can you can make say 25+ tree. This construction looks quite good in games there individual tree dont matter so much (like WHFB) but I feel my wire tree is easier to use in OC.