Island wars, Orcs vs the "Fellowship"

Post your AARs and Battle Reports here or link to any that you've seen around the web so we can all have a look!

Moderator: roybatty

fransotto

Island wars, Orcs vs the "Fellowship"

Post by fransotto » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Too long time since last battle report, just too much to write and also what I think too many "uninteresting games". This one could be interesting due to it was an introduction game to a guy who know a little bit about computer based RPGs. In order to make the game a little bit more "RPGish" than usual we added a few simple rules and some decisions on the table was taken more based on what we thought was characteristic or the warband or the figure rather spending a lot of time trying to figure out the ultimate move at every single action. :)

Here we go;

The fellowship, all these guys got exactly the same characteristics but different abilities, this worked very well and was easy to remember. For the second game my opponent altered some of the characteristics.

My mantic orcs accompanied with a troll. I tried to make the warband simple and streamlined. I was quite happy with the setup, maybe too many models with monster rule.

I am trying out one of my latest board here, I was suppose to create bridges but was too lazy so I made two boats instead. I also had a shark.

Shark rule; The shark moved 1D6" after each player turn. She moved direct toward the closest model in water or else you could chose to move it where ever you liked. If the shark touched a model that model immediately was out of the game.

Boat rule; To embark and disembark required one action and to move the boat anywhere on the table where it could fit cost one action. So you could sail across the table in one action. Else the boats worked liked normal terrain, so boarding was fine as falling into the water.

Sea rule: If a model entered the water it lost one MND.

Simple easy to remember rules that made the game really exciting, been pushed in the water was not so dangerous as long as the shark was not there... The boat rules worked well and so did the "sea rule".

So to the game;
Start of turn one, the scenario was a simple open combat we deployed on an island each behind walls. I did not really had a plan but I knew I had to swarm each of his models in order to win. This was not easily done as my opponent was clever enough to not engage me in the beginning. Sailing "Frodo" in the middle of the sea and then started aggressively at my bow equipped orc to the right. "Gandalf" with a crossbow and "Legolas" with marksman skill shot my hard target -the pig.

The pig mounted orc and the troll rushed onboard a boat and manage to board the "Frodos" boat and push him into the sea. The troll continue sailing in order to be able to beat up "Gandalf" that actually been taken som hit at this stage. On the left side "Boromir" was in deep trouble but for reason unknown either "Gimli" or "Aragorn" was keen on helping him.

The Shark which been moving back and forth in the middle for a while did only move 1" when "Frodo" fell in the water, but when the Troll with still 6 FOR left fell in the water then she moved 6" and ate him :shock: One of these little thing in a game that is just hysterical funny. Anyway a lot of break points disappeared. "Boromir" was beaten and "Gimli" took over fighting the pig mounted orc. At this point maybe a few turn to late the Orc leader stepped forward but the dice was not with the orcs and after a few quick "turn overs" (think the pig orcs rolled two "1" in a row) the Fellowship manage to shot down the last mounted orc and the game was over.

End game

I tried to do this battle report sort of "live" at twitter but it was not good. Too much happened too quick, so sorry for the bad/few photos. Anyway game was maybe a little bit too much straight forward but I did not want to spend time on thinking. The flow was more important.

We decided to do a rematch...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

fransotto

Re: Island wars, Orcs vs the "Fellowship"

Post by fransotto » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 am

...so a rematch, while my opponent grasped the game surprisingly well he wanted to play around a little bit with the characteristics.

We took another "open combat" scenario and this time I advanced quite aggressively.

The game started almost as the first one, but I tried to deploy my pigs, leaders and troll on the "main island" rather quick. On the left side i rushed forward as well.

The troll got huge speed and this caught the fellowship little bit by surprise. I manage to position the troll in between "Gandaf", "Legolas" and "Aragorn". Unfortunately the troll never manage to do any damage.

"Legolas" took a chance to break out and succeeded! After that he was able to push the troll into the water. I cannot find "Broromir" so I think he was lost quite early in the game.

"Frodo" doing amazingly well and was on killing spree and my break points were disappearing very quick.

The fight carried on and even if it looked bad for the orcs every member of the fellowship had around 5 MND each so I just basically needed to just kill two of them. I never manage to do this though and the Fellowship broke the orcs.

fransotto

Post by fransotto » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 am

For conclusion, I will not try to make a Twitter battle report again :) Maybe a YouTube report next time? Feeling I am missing so many small details mostly regarding tactical positioning in order to do favourable force backs so to say.

Having the same stat for every member and then give the model an unique ability was a good way to keep the flow in the game. My orcs were also built with smooth gameplay in mind, the fellowship was able to 3 dice the foot orcs, 2 dice the pig mounted and only 1 dice the troll. I can recommend that approach if you are new to the game. :)

Fat4life

Post by Fat4life » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 am

Would love to see a youtube one, seemed like a fun battle :).