Solo/Co-op Dungeon Crawl

Put your suggestions for Open Combat here. Please include (SCENARIO) (SKILLS/ABILITIES), (WEAPONS) as appropriate in the title of your posts. Feel free to include (PROFILES) too if you have a suggested set of profiles for particular kinds of fighter - I know there are players that would find this useful.

Moderator: roybatty

Null Unit

Solo/Co-op Dungeon Crawl

Post by Null Unit » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:30 am

Title says it all. I would love to see an expansion that allows solo/co-op randomized dungeon crawls using our dungeon tiles.

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: Solo/Co-op Dungeon Crawl

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm

This is something I'm keen on too. I'm looking at options for solo play (among other things) at the moment. I've got a rudimentary system which I'm going to release as a work in progress for players to experiment and provide feedback on once I've got the next release finished. AIs for solo play in tabletop games are tricky beasts to get right to provide a challenge while not being too predictable.

To give you an idea of the direction it's going in, a models behaviour is based on the weapons they have (missile vs hand to hand) and the relative Renown against the nearest visible enemy model. Plus a a few other factors based on some new things called Traits I'm considering introducing for solo play such as Cowardly or Brave.

For example a model with a sword and shield and a Renown of 20 when near an enemy with a Renown equal to or less than 20 could be predisposed to behave one particular way while the same model against an enemy model with a higher Renown might do something else entirely different. However, these behaviours are not absolute, there is a chance they may behave differently to what you would expect.

To extend this example a model with the Cowardly Trait (working title), the model will very rarely wish to Engage an enemy model unless they have an ally going in at the same time.

Putting this kind of thing together into a coherent whole is going to take some time so, as I mentioned above I am considering releasing it as a work in progress when I have enough of it in a usable format so that players can have a go.

Null Unit

Post by Null Unit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 am

That sounds great! I like how that system would allow A.I. opponents to be built in the same way as the player models are, instead of having pre-built A.I. opponents. Also, when building A.I. opponents, mixing and matching the A.I. traits & weapon traits could create fun unexpected results, like a leader A.I. that influences his nearby minion A.I.s. I would definitely play test the A.I. and leave thoughts on it if you post them.

Null Unit

Post by Null Unit » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Something I would also love to see in a co-op/solo/dungeon crawl supplement would be the ability to create a pool of monsters and then have generalized tables for spawning the monsters based on their point values relative to the adventurers war-band point value. And then tables that will spawn monsters with increased difficulty as the dungeon goes deeper. Also, random treasure tables that will help the adventurers deal with the more difficult monsters, of course.