Gunpowder rifles and pistols - count as???

Got a question related to Open Combat rules? Put it here.

Moderator: roybatty

Jedfordski

Gunpowder rifles and pistols - count as???

Post by Jedfordski » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I've got a warband that I was building for Mordheim, an Empire Reiksguard team that has a few gunpowder weapons - rifle, pistol, brace of pistols. What should I class these weapons as in OC? I was thinking that the rifle = crossbow, but maybe the pistols should be the same but with a short range? Any suggestions?

Would I be right in thinking that early gunpowder weapon stats would be something brought into this game at some point?

Cheers,

Jed

Yuma

Re: Gunpowder rifles and pistols - count as???

Post by Yuma » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:38 pm

i can offer a little help for the first part, as i have some of these too.
the rifles and single pistol i classified as crossbows. for the pistol i used 10 inch as max range (incl. additional hits), beyond 10" it does no additional hit and causes fortitudeloss only on solid hits. the hochland rifle has a built in +2Atk bonus.

the brace was a bit more complicated at first (shoot every turn one pistol or 2 in a turn and then reload, the later option uses the sling special doubleshot.)

for simplicity we later changed the pistol to just a crossbow with max range 10" and the brace of pistols to a bow (still a max range of 10"), which can do additional hits on solit hits.

we did not use those guys a lot, so theres not too much experience with this solution.
you might find some useful info in the following topic:
http://www.secondthunder.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=1841
the great game- a victorian mod for OC, which has firearms, but i cannot remember the complete rules for them.

fransotto

Post by fransotto » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Another suggestion; Combine the bow rule and crossbow rule, then add a drawback like the shooter hits herself on a "1" in order to simulate both the superiority of the gun weapon and the complicated and danger nature of the device.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Yuma; probably not if you follow rules as written.

but i say, do it anyway ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jedfordski

Post by Jedfordski » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks guys.

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Welcome to the boards Jed.

I've got the early rules for a gunpowder supplement already in motion which I'll be getting back to once I've got on top of shipping out books to everyone.

I'm considering releasing the weapons aspect of the supplement as a playtest document later in the year (possibly around the time I release the swordsmen supplement) but I've got quite a lot of things to get through before then. I'll be writing about it on the main website once I've caught up with KS and preorder shipping.

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm

a swordsmen supplement.... hmm.

Carl, you know that such things must be given to the fanboys as early as possible... for, ahm... proofreading. yes, proofreading. :D

Jedfordski

Post by Jedfordski » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 am

Is it later in the year yet??? :lol:

colinabrett

Post by colinabrett » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:15 am

Late to the party but I was wondering how playtests with these "counts as" rules went.

I'm looking at doing a historicals campaign about the Border Reivers between England and Scotland in the 1500s. From what I gather, firearms were uncommon in that area (though more widespread "down South") at the time. But I'd at least like the option for wealthier Reiver leaders to have them.

I was considering doing the "counts as" crossbows for rifles and pistols (but limit pistols to a 6" range) but was hoping someone would have had a better idea.

Any advice or suggestions would be really useful.

Colin

PS: ST_Carl - what's the state of play with the "official" gunpowder rules and the swordsman supplement?

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm juggling several things at once at the moment but the swordsmen supplement is the priority.

I was hoping on having it released by now so I'm playing catch-up with my own deadlines on several bits of the product development/production side of the business (I'll be rolling straight onto the gunpowder supplement after the swordsmen is finished).

Cantara

Post by Cantara » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 am

ST_Carel wrote:I'm juggling several things at once at the moment but the swordsmen supplement is the priority.

I was hoping on having it released here by the 2 week diet now so I'm playing catch-up with my own deadlines on several bits of the product development/production side of the business (I'll be rolling straight onto the gunpowder supplement after the swordsmen is finished).
Hi carl, was it released yet?
Last edited by Cantara on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.