One statistic for Close Combat and Shooting

Got a question related to Open Combat rules? Put it here.

Moderator: roybatty

Ragnar Black

One statistic for Close Combat and Shooting

Post by Ragnar Black » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 am

Hello All,

this was my first puzzle when I have finished reading of the rules. I love the rules a lot, but this is something a bit weird, why the shooting use same statistic as close combat (Attack). It makes from shooting a bit advantage even though in close combat you can possibly do more dmg.

So my question is it like this in the game? Or it is this completely fine?

shelldrake

Re: One statistic for Close Combat and Shooting

Post by shelldrake » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 pm

It works out perfectly. I found playing the game that you have to play tactics based on the figures you have and the stats etc you game them. It makes for a very enjoyable game, and one where tactics do play a big part, as you need to change how you would play to best use the figures you have.

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm

The ATK characteristic being used for both missile fire and close combat was a conscious decision made during development (another was combining a separate Armour characteristic into DEF). It was part of the streamlining of the system to keep it as clean as possible - the concept of creating your own profiles is a big leap for many gamers in of itself so I tried to keep the core system as minimal as possible.

On the surface, yes a high ATK characteristic does mean a model with a bow and a sword can shoot with a good chance of rolling multiple dice and also make hand-to-hand attacks with a good chance of rolling multiple dice. But, the suitability of the model for close combat vs staying out of the way and concentrating on ranged attacks depends on the rest of the profile (and any skills/abilities).

For instance if the model has low DEF (1 of 2) and low FOR (2) then the model is immediately more suited to a ranged combat role as it's simply not built to stand up to a long drawn out base-to-base Engagement. If the model has a DEF of 4 or above and a FOR of 4 or above, you can be fairly confident it has the ability to stay in a close combat for a few turns so the profile represents a much more well-rounded fighter rather than the low armoured/low stamina ranged support role of the lower DEF/FOR model.

Add into the mix suitable skills and abilities to further suit a particular combat role and the fact that the ATK stat is used for both missile fire and close combat does recede in importance as the overall 'package' of the fighter plays a bigger role in it's usefulness rather than simply one characteristic dictating it's purpose.

It does all work out fine in practice even if it feels a little unusual at first. :)

colinabrett

Post by colinabrett » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

I think that having separate Shoot/Fight skills would make it a little like other skirmish games. (Names omitted to protect the not-so-innocent :D )

Having one ATK value allows you to have a character who is strong in combat but might die with a pin-prick. The With Me! and Volley Fire! combined actions allow a player to counteract such combat monsters, either in melee or at range. Yes, such tactics may be risky but sometimes risk is necessary to accomplish the scenario's objective.

Colin

Ragnar Black

Post by Ragnar Black » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks a lot all. I must say that I really like this system and I am giving it a go. It actually perfectly fits my needs, so I am sold anyway.

@Carl - thanks for being so active on this forum. I hope that we will get soon some new supplement as I am sold. Time to go buy the Swordmasters supplement. :D

Cheers all
Jan