OPEN COMBAT PDF UPDATE

A place to discuss and debate the latest Second Thunder blog posts relating to Open Combat. Feel free to start a thread relating to an Open Combat post on your own blog.

Moderator: roybatty

ST_Carl
Site Admin

OPEN COMBAT PDF UPDATE

Post by ST_Carl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm

New article up on the blog covering the recent Open Combat PDF update. You can read it here. The article covers what the update includes.

The article also mentions podcasts. I was a guest on the Fools Daily podcast recently which was great fun - they cover many different games so are well worth a listen if you are into podcasts.

I will be doing a Second Thunder podcast soon so please let me know if you have any topics or areas you'd like me to cover in a podcast.

Claus Paludan

Re: OPEN COMBAT PDF UPDATE

Post by Claus Paludan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Nice update. Good to see the list of changes.. since I am a new customer after the 14th :)

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 pm

:)

The changes were related to clarification but I felt it was a good time to make them.

I'm aiming to ramp up the support and 'noise' online to increase exposure now - just have to get my plan in order.

If you have any particular topics you're like me to cover in the Second Thunder podcast let me know.

Claus Paludan

Post by Claus Paludan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Next pod cast :
- AI for solo/co-op play
- campaign stuff
- dungeon crawl stuff
- Magic
- Science Fiction/modern version

This is it for now I think ;)

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:42 pm

lol - that's a chunky list of topics right there!

Solo play, campaigns, dungeon crawls and magic are certainly something I can start to discuss. Although not all in one show. I'm going to take the opportunity to be a little more expansive in my discussion of topics within my own show so will talk around a single subject at a time. Or a least have a main segment where I talk about a main subject and have a few other segments where I discuss other things.

Science Fiction/Moderns isn't something I'll go into for some time mainly as it's a long way from coming down off the shelf while I get Open Combat off the ground. Once it's back on the table I'll start to talk about that area.

Cheers for the suggestions - really useful!

Claus Paludan

Post by Claus Paludan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Hehe - you did ask :D

Well - AI(solo/co-op) and campaign/stat increase/decrease is on the top of my list anyway.. So far the only set of rules that provides proper AI rules are the THW string of games, but I think I prefer the combat from OC so having a native AI system would rock ;)

Are there thoughts for more RPGish actions? I mean.. if you meet people you might want to make a roll and see if they tag along, kill you, provide information or the likes. Also perhaps a general rule for doing... well stuff, something that may or may not be easy. Breaking down doors, disarming traps and what not.. ;)

See the mind is roaring off :P

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Great to see your mind racing away - you're beginning to sound like me! :lol:

Gav verbally slaps me around every now and again to bring me back into focus on what I have to get done 'now'.

I have got a few things written for smashing objects (breaking down doors) or interacting with unusual objects (disarming traps) but they're not ready for public consumption. They do exist though - they've been developed while tinkering with a number of scenarios, then squirreled away for future reference.

I love dungeon bashes - particularly with random encounters. The beauty of Open Combat in this environment is that you can tool up your random encounter charts to suit your miniature collection. Got some gribbly slugs from Heresy Miniatures? They can go into the mix. Been wondering what to do with that handful of imps you bought 'because they were cool' you can throw them in.

Of course you can theme the charts too so if your adventurer/s were in a goblin infested cavern system you could have the random encounter chart based around goblins (and pet gribblies).

Lots and lots of opportunities for fun.

:)

DaImp

Post by DaImp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 pm

I would be very keen on seeing how you might handle a solo play set of rules. Possibly based around some scenarios that are dedicated to solo play.
@WarhammerGen

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:49 am

There's a number of ways of handling solo play - it's something I'm going to take some time in December to consider properly.

You're right though, scenarios specifically written for solo play is one way (and possibly the best way) to introduce it. :)

dexey

Post by dexey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 am

.... and how was your December - in terms of Solo play consideration? :)