Potential Open Combat markers, counters and trackers

The latest news, announcements and general chat relating to Second Thunder. If you have any general questions about Second Thunder put the here. If you have questions about a specific game put them in the relevant forum.
ST_Carl
Site Admin

Potential Open Combat markers, counters and trackers

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm currently compiling a list of potential counters, markers and trackers which could be useful to players of Open Combat.

Open Combat is generally quite light when it comes to a need for things to be tracked. The main things being FOR and MIN for Break Point purposes (which can be handled on the roster and a scrap piece of paper) but there are a few other things which might be useful to have.

Below is my initial list, in no particular order (I'll edit is as I come up with new things and/or you throw some at me in the thread below):

Break Point Tracker
Distracted
Enraged
Treasure x4
Big Fish
Random Direction
Hazard
(I've a few ideas how this can be handled which I'll expand on another time).

Note these are just ideas for consideration at the moment rather than anything that is set in stone or definitely going to be turned into something physical.

Please add your own thoughts below.

:)

Claus Paludan

Re: Potential Open Combat markers, counters and trackers

Post by Claus Paludan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:14 pm

I think the key item for me would be a breakpoint tracker. Counters for the other stuff would be neat of course :D

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Yes - I've been thinking of the Break Point tracker quite a bit recently.

Think I've got a really cool solution too, well, two solutions - one for the minimum effort mentality gamer and one for the hobbyist gamer.

Going to be talking to someone about sorting out a prototype next week - I need to do a bit of prep work first though.

Claus Paludan

Post by Claus Paludan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Cool - looking forward to see both!! Sometimes I am one, sometimes the other ;)

Manchu8990

Post by Manchu8990 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:16 am

Add the BP tracker to the KS... I am in and will be watching KS for your book.

whitehorn

Post by whitehorn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 am

I know the initial costs might be a bit high and it will be completely out of your comfort zone, but how about actually getting the big fish sculpted as models?
Just throwing ideas around . . .

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:38 am

Whitehorn - are you sneaking a look into my production plan?!

:lol:

I hope to be in a position to do that later in the year. I want to co-ordinate that with a little scenario pack release.

whitehorn

Post by whitehorn » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 pm

That is really quite exciting then!
What else can you spill?
Any plans for kickstarter limited edition models or anything? I'm probably pushing my luck now . . .

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:36 pm

:)

I did consider doing a model during the kickstarter but decided against it. Several reasons but primarily because I want to keep the KS tightly focused around funding the print of the book.

There will be a couple of 'add on' options, the Break Point Tracker being one of them but I really want to keep things simple as it's the first time I've run a kickstarter and I want to keep it within my sphere of professional experience.

I've a lot of plans for the future (which includes a range of models) but I'll try to fund those myself (and shoulder the associated financial risk) and get products to market without going to Kickstarter if possible rather than promising loads of minis on a KS then working out how to deliver it. I can see the attraction of trying to squeeze everything into a KS but those really massive deals blow my mind when it comes to financial planning for all eventualities. I've no idea how they work the numbers out on those.

It's quite mind-boggling running the various permutations on something as simple as funding a book print run via KS and I've got over 20 years years of experience in the design and print biz!

Gav Thorpe

Post by Gav Thorpe » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:12 pm

ST_Carl wrote:I've no idea how they work the numbers out on those.
Your faith that they do is quaint... ;-)

Gav