finaly Masters of the Sword

An area to discuss Open Combat related matters not covered in the other sections.

Moderator: roybatty

Yuma

finaly Masters of the Sword

Post by Yuma » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 am

greetings warlords,
i had finaly the time to read through the little treasure that came with the morning mail. Open Combat - Masters of the Sword.

delighted after the read, i thought i'd do a short review for those who havent gotten the new book.

as the old tease i am, i start with the design and layout first.. sorry :)
from the outside its look fits the core book nicely, again the old parchment look and a couple of cool pictures on the front. its "only" two on the MotS book, but i like how they frame the logo sitting between them, a gilded sword verticaly over a heavily ornamented kiteshield. reminds me slightly on something, but cant grasp it atm. but i like it nonetheless. the left picture shows a more historical looking fighter clad in full plate standing in front of some men at arms. to my shame i have to admit, that i'm a bit unsure about the origin of the knight-model, but i'd narrow it down to reaper or fireforge. (really like to know from which range it is carl..?)
the right pic shows a clearly fantastic scene with an elven swordwielder back to back with a human barbarian/norse. they are surrounded by a bunch of skellies.
when you open the book (again hardcover and 42 pages strong, not counting the ref sheets and stuff), you're greeted by the same overall design as the core book, but in a blue hue. looks quite good, the titles in the book a with the red background as in the core rules tho, i would have liked them to be blue too, but doesnt really disturb, as its like you're still reading through the core book.
there are some of those stunning map drwings again and a whole bunch of smaller full color shots of minis struggling for their lives. one was fun to discover, as i think it Gavs little mouse wariors in titanic battle against some, erm, piggies.. made me laught hard. nice one!

the content is split into three capters, well rather four, but more on that later :D
after the usual couple of interoduction and disclaimer pages, we roll straight into the new stuff.

a lot of new optional rules follow, including new abilities, weapon rules and even two new actions.
the later are nicely integrated into the existing set of actions. they are not really interesting for non-swordmasters, so if none of those bad boys are in the game, you can simply play as you do now. one is call duel, which is nice if there are blademasters in both armies. if the duel is accepted, it starts a small fight between the champs during the normal game. other models can still act against the duellants, but theres a couple of negative things that take effect if someone intervenes.
amidst the new skills/abilities are some very nice ones. "bolster morale" and "War Cry" are psycological abilities you'll love! really like that there are 4 new mental skill available. from the other categories, i like "Parry", "Bounding Leap" and "Mighty Blow".
the last one is liked to one of the two new rules, that i think are really colorful and pushing the narrative of a game: Fatalities and Frenzy. fatalities interoduce a way to damage other stats than FOR or MND. pesky elf is running away? try to chop of its leg.. dwarf still to tall? chop of its head.. you get the vibe ;)
frenzy is also a nice little addition, that i think can be used to mod quite a bunch of other stuff too. when you loose a certain number of FOR, your stats can change. i think i already have several uses for this system in the MND department.
frenzy is liked to some abilities, that let you use this new mechanic and recieve bonuses to different stats when you get beaten up.

so, whats the blademaster thing all about you may ask.. well heres the thing:
its build in without the need to specialy classify the model. it sort of becomes a master fighter through the acuired abilities.
i mentioned parry earlier. its not just a handy thing to know, it also is the starting point of some nice combos. depending on how much renown you are willing to spend, you can outfitt a warrior with several skills, that are mainly useful agains other blademasters, e.g. models with a similar collection of new skills. it can happen, that there is a series of blows, parries, riposte and even disarm, during one player turn. probably continuing even during the opposing players turn (if neither got lucky enough to disable his opponent). i see some very epic clashed in the future, where the champions of each warband fight each other while their comrades battle the other gang elsewhere. you'll like it!

i was a bit unsure of what to expect as new weapons and such. its more or less everything already in the rules.
but i'm fine with both the amount of new weapons (4) and gear (3). well, there are actually some more, but i'll come to that in a moment.
i'll hurry through this a bit.. its neither too exciting, nor too surprising, so i do just .. woot, broadsword. and maybe .. woot, throwing axe. :D
oh, and .. woot, lance.

yep, the second chapter has new stuff for cav and monsters. do not get too excited, its not that much stuff. that doesnt mean its "not enough". a brief text on how to differate between cav and monsters, some skills that tinker with the behavior table and a handfull of usefull stuff for both. the mentioned lance, a charge skill, nasty "hand" weapon for big guys and a little surprise ;)

after that, we get three new scenarios. basicly its a blade guy(s) against a mob, two blade guys against each other (with a couple of buddies on either side) and rescue mission. want to point out to the map-drawing for the 1vs1 with friends. very cool looking, and it reminds me strongly of the kazadum bridge in lotr.

and then theres the thing. the last chapter starts after a blue hued page.. sound familiar eh..
Carl threw in a small but gorgeous tourney-campain-duelling gamemode. its simply fantastic.
its not a rules heavy thing and uses the already established campainrules mainly. but its more streamlined and made for a shorter series of games. if playing historical, this is surely meant to be a tourney. each player plays one blademaster guy and the book gives you everything for jousts and battles in the lists. crafty players will surely add in some archery contests i bet.
somehow first thing that came to my mind was the movie A Knights Tale :D
"its called a lance...hello."

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Re: finaly Masters of the Sword

Post by ST_Carl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I had a double-take on this then remembered the date. :lol:

Just think yourself lucky I didn't put the preorder up for the Sword Masters. I very nearly did that today but thought the date a something to avoid.

Should be putting the preorder page up on Monday 3rd April. I originally planned to just release it (and get it printed without a preorder phase) but I need to get an idea of print run size so I'm putting it up for preorder for a week or so then get it printed. Release date is Salute on 22nd April 2017.

I've nudged the Multi-player (3+) supplement back a month or so but will have a game table running at Salute near the stand so that visitors can get an idea of how one of those scenarios runs. More information will be up on the website at some point on Monday.
:)

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm

just noticed, that i read your answer, but didnt, somehow, manage to convince my reply to stay here.

i'm very glad to hear, that the first supplement is on its way. cant wait to see whats in the real one :D
any chance we get a sneakpeak or a short runthrough what in Sword Masters?

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Yuma wrote:just noticed, that i read your answer, but didnt, somehow, manage to convince my reply to stay here.

i'm very glad to hear, that the first supplement is on its way. cant wait to see whats in the real one :D
any chance we get a sneakpeak or a short runthrough what in Sword Masters?
The crazy thing is that there's a few things in your April 1st post which are not far off the reality!

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 pm

greetings Warlords,
i just saw the preorder page for Swordmasters. sounds very good, cant wait to read though it.

after reading the describtion i see now why you were a bit surprised, Carl :)

but see your selfs, fellow Warlords:

Open Combat - Sword Masters

Extra skills, abilities, weapons, scenarios and rules to expand your games of Open Combat

The full colour A4 supplement for Open Combat includes:

New skills and abilities specifically for sword fighter models to capture the sense of drama and/or flamboyance often associated with them
Extra skills for general use
New items of equipment
New terrain rules including: swinging from chandeliers/rigging, low obstacles (trip hazards), improvised projectiles (such as kicking/throwing things from tables) and more
New scenarios to play including The Duel, For Honour and Brawl
Plus sample profiles, two new actions, guidance for setting up terrain using the new rules for maximum mayhem and advice for linking games together into a micro campaign.

Scenarios include: 'The Duel', one versus one combat (perfect for a super quick game or to try out new approaches to creating profiles). 'For Honour' where warbands fight for the honour of their clan/school/family in ritual combat and 'The Brawl', where we see a fight erupt out in an otherwise relatively peaceful environment (models start unarmed but they can scrabble to grab a weapon as the fighting gets under way).

Also included are hints and tips, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) along with sample profiles for a selection of combatants to help inspire you (or to pick from if you're a bit short on time).

:mrgreen:

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Thu May 04, 2017 7:03 pm

greetings,

any news on the swordmaster supplement?
cant wait to read the new stuff!

Nuckolls

Post by Nuckolls » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Yuma, what do you like the most about swordmaster? I like it too.

Yuma

Post by Yuma » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 pm

hey,
mainly the expanded options for skills and equipment. and mainly to butcher them for our own versions of them ;)
i admit that i havent used most of the contents in battle yet, the stats are ready tho..

maybe i should point out, that the original post here was a april 1st joke (even if i had some quite close guesses).

shelldrake

Post by shelldrake » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 am

Can this supplement be used for just one figure per side?

I have a couple of dueling hussars in my lead pile, and some 40mm Three Musketeers, so I would like to try out the rules for one on one type games.

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:00 pm

shelldrake wrote:Can this supplement be used for just one figure per side?

I have a couple of dueling hussars in my lead pile, and some 40mm Three Musketeers, so I would like to try out the rules for one on one type games.
One of the scenarios in the supplement is a Duel specifically for this kind of play!

:)