Are you thinking about new abilities/weapons?

An area to discuss Open Combat related matters not covered in the other sections.

Moderator: roybatty

esarchy

Are you thinking about new abilities/weapons?

Post by esarchy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:48 pm

As I looked at my collection of Undeads, I thought: can I use a skill similiar to "inspire" to regenerate my skeleton's FOR?
And then: someone else out there (not Carl or Gav, of course!) is adapting skills/weapons to his models?

DaImp

Re: Are you thinking about new abilities/weapons?

Post by DaImp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Resting as your action for the turn will allow you to regain 1 FOR already. But I am sure it would be ok to create an ability (call it Regeneration) that operates in a similar way to Inspire but regenerates FOR instead of MIND.
@WarhammerGen

Gav Thorpe

Post by Gav Thorpe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm noodling about with some suggested Undead rules at the moment, and that's sort of the angle we're going for. One cool idea (not necessarily for the dead 'uns) from Carl is the possibility of a skill that allows a model to rest on behalf of another!

Gav

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:30 am

(NOTE: I've moved this topic to Open Combat General Discussion as it seems more suitable here.)

Bear in mind the idea of a model taking a 'Rest' action for another model isn't actually a model 'resting'.

It's more a case of a magical 'healing' ability in a fantasy setting, using existing mechanics with a slight tweak to create a magical ability. Still in testing though. Need to properly consider range and line of sight etc.

:)

esarchy

Post by esarchy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Using an "Inspire" (regenerate/resuscitate) skill targeting another model's FOR is what I thought. The problem maybe is that -currently- when a model is reduced to 0 FOR is removed from play, right?
You need another ability like "undead" that allows models to be not removed from play and be target of "regenerate/resuscitate" skill.
But maybe becomes too themed-specific and not generic.

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Correct - on reaching 0 FOR a model is removed from the table.

Undead is very much particular to a fantasy environment which is why it's not part of the core rules. As Gav has mentioned he's pushing some possibilities around for undead which will eventually be released in a future expansion.

The expansions are where we can be more specific with content and theme, they're intended to enhance the core rules if players want to add the particular flavour each expansion offers.

The direction you're thinking of (leaving models on the table that can be reanimated) is certainly something that is currently in the mix for undead.

esarchy

Post by esarchy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am

ST_Carl wrote:Correct - on reaching 0 FOR a model is removed from the table.

Undead is very much particular to a fantasy environment which is why it's not part of the core rules. As Gav has mentioned he's pushing some possibilities around for undead which will eventually be released in a future expansion.

The expansions are where we can be more specific with content and theme, they're intended to enhance the core rules if players want to add the particular flavour each expansion offers.

The direction you're thinking of (leaving models on the table that can be reanimated) is certainly something that is currently in the mix for undead.

:mrgreen:

ndixon

Post by ndixon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Would also be interesting to see Vampires, I'll have to have a play around with that. What about large constructs like chariots? Although cavalry could be created, having something that represents multiple models becomes a different animal. It does take it perhaps from the skirmish to more of a wargame, but I just love the idea of skeleton chariots!

ST_Carl
Site Admin

Post by ST_Carl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Chariots are something Gav and myself have discussed a few times.

They're more related to expanded rules for cavalry and open up the playing area. Certainly in the development mix going forward. :)

DaImp

Post by DaImp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Was just wondering about chariots myself today. Thinking they could do with a rule to allow them to make an attack and keep moving. Also a chance that something might break on the chariot, especially if going over anything but smooth terrain.
@WarhammerGen